Thursday, October 30, 2014

Hello Ello

Social media sites come and go but some are here for the long run. Facebook has been around for over 10 years and hasn’t had much competition in their realm of social media. Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Snapchat all offer something different from what Facebook offers. The hot social media platforms today offer their consumers something different that they want to use daily.

Ello is a new social media platform that is competing against Facebook for users and networking. Ello launched in July 2014 but is only open to people through invitations. People can go on their website and request an invitation to join. Ello promotes a social media site with no ads. Users can also not give their real name or other information they wish to not be shared.

In my opinion, Ello is trying to promote a laid back social media site that will target people who don’t want to revel their identities, teens, and potentially people who are tried of ads on Facebook. I personally don’t think I will try Ello. I’m content with all of the social media platforms that I participate in today. My friends say I’m obsessed with social media and I think they’re right. I like looking at each platform and how people use it on a day-to-day basis. When Twitter became a big thing with my friends I watched how many of them decided to use that platform. 


None of my friends are using Ello at the moment and I don’t see them trying it soon in the future. Ello is reaching the niche that it was intended to target. If this was the goal of the creators then they are succeeding. Over time I’m sure Ello will pick up and become a social media platform that comes across more people’s lips.   

1 comment:

  1. Kaitlin,
    I have never heard of Ello but it sounds awesome. From how you describe it, I think it works well at bringing something that Facebook can't. It will work well for posting more explicit or open material such as photos with alcohol in it. I know I don't want those on Facebook, but would be comfortable sharing them if my name isnt exposed. Interesting concept, Thanks. Xendon

    ReplyDelete