Thursday, October 2, 2014

An Avenue of Oaks

The summer before my junior year of high school my family took a vacation to Charleston, South Carolina. I had never been before and was looking forward to seeing all of the old plantations and the history surrounding Charleston. During the trip my mother and I visited three plantations: Boone Hall, Magnolia Plantation, and Drayton Hall. Each of these plantations were beautiful, displaying different styles of architecture between the 1600s to 1700s. Out of all of those plantations, Boone Hall stood out to me the most.
                                                    
Boone Hall was the first plantation that we toured. The views surrounding the plantation are magical. The alley of oaks leading up to the house is breath taking. People would stop their car as they enter the first gate to take a picture of nothing but live oak trees. To the right as you walk up the dirt path are open fields where you can sometimes see horses galloping about. To the left is the path to the cotton dock house, which sits by the water.

Since I was a little girl I have been fascinated with history and historical plantations. The history that surrounds this plantation is unbelievable. It was built in the mid 1700s before the Revolutionary War. The house, slave quarters, gin house, cotton dock house, and grounds are still original. The plantation is also one of the oldest working and living plantations in America. Pumpkins, strawberries, and other crops are still being produced today. 

The outside of the house and the avenue of oak trees leading up the house are often used in movies. The plantation has appeared in North and South, Queen, and The Notebook. The plantation is also used for special events, including weddings. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds are just one of the many couples that have used Boone Hall Plantation as a backdrop for their wedding.

One day in the future I hope to visit Boone Hall again. The history and beauty that surrounds Boone Hall is something that can’t be reconstructed in a house in today’s time period. I want to be able to take my children one day, just like my mother took me when I was younger. 

  


1 comment:

  1. These are great pictures! I think plantations are beautiful. I live in Southern Maryland, and there are old plantations everywhere. Many of the tobacco farms are still running, and a lot of formal events like weddings are held there. I find history interesting, so I love being able to drive around my hometown and see so much history present!

    ReplyDelete