Thursday, April 9, 2015

Behind the Scenes of "Captain's Cassell" - Reflection of Unit 3 Assignment

Making a video about sports fandom was our Unit 3 Assignment for Sports Comm. For the assignment we had to create a video with a partner telling fans’ sports stories. Katharina and I partnered up and decided to focus our video on the student director of Cassell Guard, Chris Jennings. Chris, a senior, has been with Cassell Guard for three years and an intern in the marketing office in athletics for two years. We met last April when I was hired as an intern in the sports marketing office. Since then Chris has taught me the ropes of the marketing department and I’ve enjoyed our conversations about basketball and baseball. I wanted to tell Chris’s story because I’ve seen him prepare for each home basketball game and I know how much he puts his heart into cheering on both the women and men’s basketball teams.   


Kat and I chose to shoot in Cassell Coliseum the home of the women and men’s basketball teams at Virginia Tech. We used three different locations within Cassell: the student section, the court, and the team bench. We wanted to mix up locations throughout the video and give it a natural feel to the interview. We also used the big heads that the marketing office bought for the student section in our video. We placed different ones around Chris in each shot. I enjoyed every minute working on this project. Group projects usually involve research in the library and writing eight page papers; but this group project gave me hands on experience interviewing a fan about their love of sports.

8 comments:

  1. I loved your sports fan video! I enjoyed getting to know "The Captain!" Your video allowed me to personally get to know Chris Jennings; I'm glad I got to learn more about the Cassell Guard as well. Chris definitely seemed like such a genuinely nice person, which made it that much more enjoyable to watch. I'm glad your video has received so much attention from the Virginia Tech community. People like Chris deserve to be shared with our community; it's people like him that ignite our Hokie spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlin,

    I really enjoyed the angle you each took toward this unit assignment. Focusing on one specific form of fandom was a great direction to take in making the video. I love getting to know Chris as "The Captain", and learning about his life day to day within Cassell. It was nice learning how much effort and dedication it takes to be apart of the Cassell Guard, as well as learning how much of a focused, die-hard and devoted fan that Chris was for our VT Hokies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your video and the approach you guys took on this. It is cool to see and hear about the marketing side and how it plays into sports. It was cool to learn about Chris' perspective and how being "The Captain" meant a lot to him. You guys did a great job, and the big heads were a great, hilarious addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed your video! It was really cool seeing a behind the scenes look of all the efforts Cassell Guard does to give us a home-court advantage. Best video in the class by far, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember your video and absolutely loved the stance you all took. Honestly, I never even knew there was a "Captain" of Cassell Collesium but it was amazing to see how much heart and soul Chris Jennings clearly puts into the team and Hokie community. Win or lose, he is there supporting the team and that probably means more to the players than he knows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember your video and really enjoyed it! It was a unique approach and very informative. I have always known a little bit about Cassell Guard but didn't really know the behind the scenes- so this video was very cool to me! It will definitely open up my eyes when I see Cassell Guard and realize all that goes into it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your video was my favorite that we got to watch! It was such an interesting approach to choose Chris as the focal point of your video. I loved learning more about him and his involvement in Cassell Guard. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Captain's Cassell was my favorite video! I was not aware of the Cassell Guard before watching this video, so I'm happy you chose this topic. I think its awesome that the womens and mens basketball team has such a great network of supporters!

    ReplyDelete