Thursday, March 5, 2015

Unit 1 Analysis

The unit 1 assignment was interviewing a sports professional in an industry that we were interested in pursuing or finding more about. I chose to interview my boss JC Whidden. JC serves as the assistant director of marketing and promotions at Virginia Tech athletics. She has been working with the athletic department since 2013 and I’ve been working with her since April of 2014. I really enjoyed working on this assignment, especially being able to talk to JC about her career path.

I’m graduating in December of 2015 and I’m still unsure of what is next after graduation. I’m thinking about graduated school for sports management but I’m also keeping the option open for a job as well. Talking with JC and learning about her career path was informing. I’m trying to figure out what path to take after graduation and I like talking to professionals to see what they did after college. JC told me about her graduate program at the University of Florida and the hands on experience she gained at the University Athletic Association. At the UAA, JC was an intern and was able to help out in the athletic department. The experience she gained, as an intern was valuable in helping her network and prepare for a job in sports marketing.


Interviewing JC reaffirmed why I want to work in sports marketing. Seeing fans excited about a give away or autograph sessions with the players are just a few of the rewarding experiences by working in sports marketing. The unit 1 assignment allowed me to have a deeper look in the field that I want to pursue after graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment