Thursday, September 4, 2014

The "Dirty Dancing" Road Trip


 Dirty Dancing is one of my favorite movies and just happens to be on TV tonight as I’m blogging. This past summer, the day before school started my sister and I went to Mountain Lake Lodge, also known as Kellerman’s Lodge to visit the home of Dirty Dancing.  The drive up the mountain was twisty and long. The lodge was located around seven miles off 460 west. Once Paige and I were almost at the top we realized that we were extremely close to the West Virginia border. When we finally reached the top of the mountain the scenery was beautiful! The lodge looked exactly like it did in the movie and it was hard to believe that we were at a place where one of my favorite movies was filmed. After getting out of the car, we immediately went to a museum that was set up with pictures, information, and bios about the cast from Dirty Dancing. I took plenty of pictures to send to my best friend, JoBeth, who is a dance major at Radford, and just happens to share the same love for Dirty Dancing. There was also a box set up to take donations for the Patrick Swayze Pancreatic Cancer Foundation. Walking around the exterior of the lodge I could just imagine the cast filming scenes and hanging out between takes. One difference from the movie that everyone will notice is that Mountain Lake is drying up due to sediment washing out of the lake. Paige and I had a wonderful time spending the day together, exploring Mountain Lake Lodge, and remembering Dirty Dancing.



3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I could be re-sending and re-writing this post because I am not sure if the other one posted, but what I wanted to say was:
    I have always loved mountain lake and all of its views. I have gone up to the top of a certain trail multiple times and near the ledge there is an abandoned one room structure with no roof. On a windy day it is beautiful to lay in at night and look at the stars-- good on a windy day because the structure blocks the wind and the lack of roof allows you to gaze the stars. If you look over the edge of the top of the structure you can see the entire area surrounding you. It really is the top of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awesome! I will have to go check that out one day and see if I can find the structure. I bet the view is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would really love to go there one day! Either just to visit or for a nice weekend away. I also love how they are bringing awareness to a cause because the actor worked there. It's a great way to still incorporate the film and history of the lodge as well as raise awareness. It's a very good PR move in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete